Wednesday 27 April 2011

First offer! aka "theres nothing as expensive as a free boat"

ok so got mailed regarding a massive 52ft barnett class former lifeboat in bangor. Now I am a little bit mental at the best of times but how class does this beast look.

"Hey there. This may be your lucky day. I have an ex-RNLI lifeboat that I would gladly donate to someone who wishes to revamp it. My intention was the same but circumstances have it that I cant do it now.

Norman B. Corlett is a bit larger than you asked at 13m but he is a beauty and would be free if you want him. See attached picture and get in touch if you are interested.

Cheers,

Jenny"



 Now I had a place I could put this monster even but I thought I best speak to a few men in the know first.

My dads short answer was "are you mad" to crane a boat of that size your talking something like £1500 either end and if you can float it between bangor and belfast another £2000 in transportation, so thats £4000-5000 before you have even touched it!

I spoke to a guy at my local sailing club who confirmed the situation and the kind of money I'd be talking to restore it. in short circa £40k.

My dad's line was for less than 5k you could have a nice boat, sails and ready to go! Also at 52ft a marina is a major problem as most marinas will only allow up to 40ft. So your in major problems here, lough neagh was my best bet but even then 40k is a bit much for a "free boat"

hopefully she'll make someone a great boat just not me.

No comments: